Problems on the construction of the parallel bridge at Suba Bridge II along the Consolacion-Tayud-Liloan Road will soon end after Governor Gwendolyn Garcia gave Visayan Electric Company (Veco) a deadline to transfer their four electrical posts that was causing obstruction on the project.
In a meeting on Thursday, Garcia showed displeasure when Veco Engr. Daryl Arizo could not provide a clear explanation on the status of the four poles that were still standing along the area where the bridge will be erected.
“You think this meeting is a joke? Why did you send someone who have no authority to speak on what happening to this project,” the governor said.
Veco sent Arizo, its line design engineer, in a coordination meeting called for by the governor with the Department of Public Works and Highways 5th Engineering District and the project contractor, WTG Construction represented by its project manager Engr. Joshua Go.
Arizo called his immediate boss Engr. Armil Logarta, head of the planning and design, to explain to the governor of the mix-up.
Garcia chided Logarta on the phone for sending someone who had no authority to speak on the issue.
“This onus is on you. Wa ninyo ni gibuhat dugay na kaayo ni,” Garcia told Logarta.
The governor has been in the forefront in ensuring the swift resolution in the delay of the road widening project that connects Consolacion and Liloan to the Cansaga Bridge and the Cebu North Road which already spanned for almost 10 years now.
A series of meetings were already held at the Capitol since last month to resolve this.
Go said he had met the governor and other concerned agencies last week to thresh out concerns on the delays including the road right of way (RROW) issues.
Go said they are on track in completing the Suba Bridge II in January 2020 and have completed the one lane road they built leading to the bridge.
Their only problem is the electrical posts that were still obstructing construction work.
“We target around January next year. Pero sayod man ta nga Christimas season ug grabe baya ang traffic dinha. So we plan to finish this by December,” he said.
He said they have sought the help of the governor to intercede since their last meeting on Nov. 20.
Gov. Garcia will visit Suba next week Thursday, December 5 expecting that Veco have already cleared the area by this time.
Garcia also spoke to VECO senior vice president Anton Perdices on the Capitol’s request to immediately transfer the posts. (Vanessa L. Almeda)