IMG +63 (032) 888-2328 IMG
By: Sugbo News | Published Tuesday, January 07, 2020
Governor Gwendolyn Garcia consoles Vilma Concoles, the mother of the three-week-old baby boy who died of pneumonia at the San Francisco District Hospital in Camotes last week. Looking on is Tudela Mayor Jojo Solante. (Tonee Despojo)

Governor Gwendolyn Garcia ordered a full investigation on last week’s death of a three-week old baby at the Ricardo Maningo District Hospital in San Francisco town, Camotes Island.

The governor was in the Camotes group of islands on Tuesday, January 7, for the distribution of cash incentives to barangay workers. She met with the parents of Kai Gavin Yangson, the three-week old baby who died last January 2.

Garcia told the baby's mother, Vilma Concoles, that the Capitol’s Committee on Discipline and Investigation (CODI) will conduct a full investigation.

Concoles was emotional when she talked to the governor. She narrated that when they arrived at the hospital on the night of January 2, they were immediately referred by the attending physician to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) in Cebu City. She claimed that the hospital's doctor did not attend to her sick baby.

The earliest boat trip to mainland Cebu was 5:30 a.m. the next day. The baby died at around 3 o’clock in the morning.

During the meeting, the governor asked Provincial Health Officer Dr. Christina Giango to facilitate the submission of Concoles’ affidavit to the CODI.

The family will wait for the nine-day novena to be completed before they will attend the investigation.

“I want a full-scale investigation. So akong gi-refer sa Committee on Discipline and Investigation (CODI). Inig human sa tapos sa pangadye, mag execute sila'g affidavit. As I said before, gusto ko both sides ako madunggan,” the governor said. She will also hear the side of the doctor, she added.

The initial report stated that the child died of pneumonia, according to Dr. Giango.

The report submitted by the hospital doctor who attended to the baby stated that the child already had extreme difficulty breathing and a distended abdomen because of low oxygen saturation.

Dr. Giango also checked the hospital's CCTV footage. She said she saw in the footage that the doctor attended to the patient by giving him oxygen, dextrose and antibiotics.

"The doctor also monitored the patient's oxygen saturation," added Giango.

Consoles said that the doctor only attended to them once and immediately left.

Nakuwangan lang mi sa attention sa doctor ba. Ok man ang nurses, ang doctor ra jud. Kadtung pag 3 a.m., gipatawag siya wala man gyud siya sa ER pirmi. Unya gitawag siya sa nursing aid kay gitabang ang bata. Pero pag adto niya patay na ang bata. Wala pa gyud siya mo duol sa bata,” Consoles said.

Garcia also gave financial assistance from her personal funds. Rep. Vincent “Duke” Frasco of the fifth district also gave monetary aid. (Mylen P. Manto and John Fredson Granada)